Veggie Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
- 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash, halved
- 1 T avocado oil
- 2 tsp butter (I use grass-fed)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 C kefir cheese
- 1 C unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 C fresh power greens
- 5 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 asparagus stalks, chopped
- 3/4 C chopped broccoli
- 3 T freshly chopped parsley
- 4 T parmesan cheese - divided
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Use a large knife to cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise from stem to tail. Rub the flesh with olive oil or lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray. Lightly season with salt and pepper and place the squash halves cut-side down on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before handling. Turn oven broiler to HIGH.
- While the squash cools, heat 1 T avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add minced shallot and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for ~2-3 minutes, until softened. Next, add butter and garlic and saute until aromatic, ~1 minute.
- Whisk flour into garlic butter mixture continuously for about 30 seconds until well-combined. Carefully pour in milk and kefir cheese, turn heat to high, bringing mixture to alow boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for ~5 minutes, until mixture starts to slightly thicken.
- At this point, you can begin scraping out the seeds of the spaghetti squash and discarding them, and scraping out all the spaghetti-like strands to be incorporated into the mixture.
- Add veggies to skillet, stirring frequently until veggies are soft. Add the squash strands, 2 T parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Mix until well-combined.
- Fill squash boats with veggie alfredo mixture, dividing evenly amongst each half. Top with remaining parmesan cheese (~1 T per boat). Broil for 6-9 minutes, checking every few minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly crisp. Top with additional parsley and serve!