Gluten-free & Dairy-Free Tres Leches Cake
For the cake:
For the spiced cream:
- 2 C coconut milk, or milk alternative
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 C brown rice flour
- 4 T tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 2/3 C coconut oil
- 1 1/2 C coconut sugar
- 4 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated coconut milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 can coconut milk, refrigerated overnight,the solid part only
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- A splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch sheet pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Whisk together almond milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat together milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes, and then turn it out onto a serving plate so that it is upside down. Use a fork to poke holes across the surface of the cake.
- In a large measuring cup or pitcher, whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut milk.
- Pour it very slowly and gradually over the cake, allowing it to seep in.
- Cover and refrigerate the cake for at least 4hours or overnight.
- Finally, prepare the spiced cream. Beat the hardened coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla in an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until peaks form. Spread evenly over the cake slice, and serve.